"Bear in mind you have a life to live. There is an incredible loss. There is a profound grief. And there is, in the end, after a long time and more work than you ever thought possible, a time when it gets easier." -Marya Hornbacher

Friday, October 15, 2010

Medicine or Therapy?

Whatever society calls it- mind, character, personality- the human race likes to think we have something much more intricate than the science of our neurons and how they interact. So is this science the mind or the brain? Do the mind and the brain overlap? Are they the same thing? Science has proven that the brain works through neurons and chemical signals. One's mood is affected by these chemicals...being happy, sad or anxiety is a cause of a compound of neurotransmitters. Too much acetycholine + not enough serotonin = depression. So, this is a brain, where does it leave the mind? Does it have anything to do with chemicals or is it all how our environment has affected us? Is it logical reasoning or science? This leaves a lot of mind room. If bioloy researchers were able to explain how neuroses ( psychotics illnesses ) were caused and what the effect and cause were, if they were able to show exactly how chemicals caused thoughts... would the psychoanalysts put away all the theories about the adolescent, child mind, adult, id, ego bullshit and retire? Granted, psychologists are only left with so much. Rx's have indeed been part of recovery from mental illness. Rx's has been shown to be as much as 40% of a patient's recovery from mental illness. Thus, the psychologists only now play around a little over half of the job of what recovery is. Illnesses such as depression, bi-polar and general anxiety all have Rx's directly tied directly to them.

So psychologists talk about the mind and scientists talk about the brain. Is there an overlap?


Without the item that I have been attached to religiously for the past... year and a half. I'm definitely finding myself more anxious about my body and less confident about how I look w/out being able to see a number. I also find it both easier and harder to eat.  As much of an oxymoron this is... I find it hard to eat because I'm scared that I'll gain weight and won't know if I'm over-eating ( although, rationally I highly doubt I am... )  But it's also easier bc I can eat more stuff I enjoy without checking to see if I gained .5 lbs or however my weight fluctuates...yet I haven't done that.

I am actively wanting to restrict because I hate not knowing something- in this case- my weight. I really have given it all up to recover. Well, my 3 scales are sitting probably in the back of a friend's trunk and I can't really get them back and I know I shouldn't but... AGH.  I'm so fucking ambivalent about how I feel right now. If i feel more free or just panicky. Well, physically I'm pretty calm thanks to my nice meds ( thank you scientists and MDs... )...but mentally, I wish my brain weren't fighting w/me. or is it my mind? My brain is sending off chemical signals that are telling me what? Or is my mind or some ego state that hasn't been dealt with such as my adolescent or the id or something that's freaking out?

Natural Science vs. Social Science. Which wins? Or do they continue to fight a battle and eventually one gives in and they find that they both fit together...nicely like a puzzle. When will recovery make sense to me? is it my mind that is scared of sugar and fat in foods? Or is it my brain seriously saying my body doesn't digest sugar and fat well....

food fears are beyond me. i have many, but it is beyond me why I find it easier to eat a giant reese's cup than a full meal of say, chicken, broccoli, carrots and a roll or something. Maybe because I don't taste the latter.... go me. When did I stop enjoying cooking or baking and only use the microwave to cook. I have a kitchen... I'm not in a college dorm anymore, but yet I rarely cook unless it's to cook some diced already cooked frozen chicken or beef. What happened to growing up. I have a kitchen but yet I'm living food wise like I live in a dorm with no kitchen. I will never understand my relationship with food and things that revolve around food. 
xoxo -Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Feeling are ephemeral, so is life. We’re here one moment and we’re gone the next. If you keep living trying to protect yourself, nothing is every going to touch you."