"Bear in mind you have a life to live. There is an incredible loss. There is a profound grief. And there is, in the end, after a long time and more work than you ever thought possible, a time when it gets easier." -Marya Hornbacher

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

What No One Talks About When They Recover From Anorexia*

(by Amanda Tarlton via Thought Catalog )

"Everyone told me recovery was worth it, that it would bring me happiness and a new curvy body, that it would make me the carefree girl I used to be. They told me I’d be able to laugh again, that I’d be able to run and dance and eventually have kids, that I’d be able to post an inspirational #transformationtuesday picture on my Instagram.

They told me recovery would save my life.

And they were right, it did.

But what they didn’t tell me, what no one told me, was that I would miss my eating disorder.

Not just miss it but grieve it, long for it, wish for it back every time the clock said 11:11. There were more days than I like to admit where I spent all of my energy, all of my time looking at old pictures of myself and wanting to have that starved body again.
On the good days, it was the best. It was like being wrapped in a warm blanket fresh from the dryer on a rainy day. It was like a hug from your mom or a good morning kiss from your boyfriend. It was everything that made you feel happy and loved, it was the voice whispering sweetly “everything is going to be okay”.

But on the bad days, it was the worst. It was like living every day one step away from death, like screaming out for help and no one can hear you. It was believing you were worthless, believing you were disgusting and fat despite the bruises on your protruding bones from sitting in a chair. It was like the crash after a cocaine high.

I knew recovery wouldn’t be easy. I knew enough to be prepared for the relapses, for the urges to restrict, for the endless doctors and tests.

I was prepared for all of that. I just wasn’t prepared to feel like I was going through a breakup.
I wasn’t prepared to miss the one thing that was slowly killing me.

Isn’t that messed up? Isn’t that so sick and twisted? Isn’t it horrible to want to see ribs when you look in the mirror, to want to feel the familiar ache of hunger, to want to be empty?

I tried to explain it to my mom once. I tried to tell her how my anorexia was like a familiar face. How the sharp edge of my hip bone and the brain fog and the dizziness were miserable but comfortable all at once. How even though I knew I was dying, it was almost easier than living.

She looked at me like I was crazy.
But in the case of eating disorder recovery, crazy is normal. Crazy is okay. You have to accept the crazy, to feel it, to sit with it as my therapist loves to say, to acknowledge it. You have to know that every other person going through recovery understands you. You aren’t alone. You aren’t the only “crazy” one.

Because when you let go of your anorexia, you’re letting go of your identity, you’re letting go of who you thought you were, you’re letting go of what defined you.

And in letting go, in coming clean, you’re going to miss what used to bring you peace. You’re going to miss what kept you together when everything else was falling apart. You’re going to miss the high of starving in the same way a recovering alcoholic misses the numb of the bottle.

It will happen. You will be sad for the girl you used to be. But in those moments, you have to remember that she was just a hollow shell, a house not a home. She may be gone but you’re still here. You’re still alive. You’re still you.

Miss her but not so much that you become her again. Life moves on. Move on with it."

I have no words that can make this article better or any way to explain it. It's strange to miss something that you can't go back to. 
xoxo -Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Anna and I saw the link for your blog on poshmark. My screen name on there is @annasonmain which is named after my store in NC. I just wanted to let you know how inspired I was by your story. Back in high school I was really unhappy with my body and I would go 2-3 days without eating - sometimes I drank milkshakes to feel full - but I would always pig OUT the 3rd or 4th day & was unable to make myself purge. My point is I actually tried to have an eating disorder but I guess I didn't have the willpower to be hungry longer than 3 days. Each time I "fasted" I'd lose 15 lbs in a couple days and then gain half of it back the first day I started eating again. I guess if I would have had more willpower to endure the hunger for longer than 3 days I might be able to relate more but in any case I just wanted to express how happy I am that you're in recovery! That takes more strength than anything to change your mindset that you look BETTER when you're not boney. I'm 29 and when I was a teenager ALL you saw in magazines were girls with zero fat on their bodies but nowadays it seems like most magazines try to give the impression that curves are sexy. I'm actually really into long-distance running now (which requires eating a lot of healthy food in order to have the "fuel" to make it 13 - 15 miles) and I'm sure you know or have heard that it's an amazing feeling to be overloaded with endorphins - if you haven't tried running for fun you should bc it makes you feel incredible and it may even be enough to replace those feelings of attachment to your old "friend". Sorry for rambling, I just felt so inspired by your story!
    P.S. My dad is the editor of a newspaper so I know what good writing is and your writing is phenomenal

    ReplyDelete

"Feeling are ephemeral, so is life. We’re here one moment and we’re gone the next. If you keep living trying to protect yourself, nothing is every going to touch you."