March 1st 2013- It's a Friday morning at Lemont, IL- about 9:30 and after taking a few lost turns- I was walking into the admissions building at renowned treatment center Timberline Knolls. I had discharged from Timberline Knolls (TK) exactly 5 months ago on October 1st. I have already been called a veteran in eating disorder treatment. Why was I returning to the same treatment center I had spent almost 4 months of my life? For once, not because I had relapsed but I was back- as an alumni- a guest. One that was now shooting a documentary following her recovery process- Someday I'll Be Okay (SIBO)- and one that had been invited from the alumnae coordinator to be part of an alumni panel as an ending event for NEDAwareness Week. I was given a guest sticker- before I even got a chance to stick it to my shirt- I heard my name being called- I turned around and it was the alumnae coordinator-Jena Morrow-( talented author, singer, etc http://www.jenamorrow.com ) and one of the eating disorder specialists that had led some of the groups I was in. I turned around and immediately was given a huge hug. Of course I wasn't going to turn down a hug from someone I really looked up to and liked. Afterwards, I was led to Dr. Kim's (Kimberly Dennis ) office- but not as a resident- as someone who was helping with the SIBO interview that she had agreed to do. Then we got a chance to interview Jena as well. She was then amazing enough to escort us around campus.
![]() |
| Jena and I |
We were then escorted by Jena around campus and we filmed at a few places. It was nice because nothing was staged. The screen shots that we got were all candid. The conversations I had with Jena weren't even prompted. I just had a great time bonding with her. She seriously is a great support as well as just all around- a fun person.
![]() |
| Bridge at Timberline Knolls ( this was NOT staged- we're just that awesome) |
I spent about an hour later that night crying because I missed TK so much. However, going back to TK really helped remind me why I wanted to get better when I left. I wanted to go back and work at TK. I forgot about that goal. Well, not forgot but it had become a distant thought. It's back on the forefront. I had been struggling for the last few days about if all this hard work regarding recovery is worth it- if I was in recovery or relapse or just limbo. I haven't been perfect lately- in fact- far from it. My body image is down the shithole. I haven't been sober of all behaviors but yet- I have more good days than bad days. That's what matters.
As long as the trend of having more good days than bad days continues- I'm okay with it. I do want to go back to TK- however, not as a resident- I want to go back as an alumni for a while- and then hopefully, if it's still what I wish to do in the future, as part of the staff.
I miss Timberline Knolls, I can't deny that. Timberline Knolls changed my life- in fact- saved my life.
Going back with a guest badge- not going to lie- it seems surreal. But it's not. I am now a guest, an alumni- I am no longer a patient. It is not a place I need to be anymore. I needed it at one point. In fact, if I hadn't had it- I don't know where I would be.
For now though- I will stick with what it is I have. It's working for me. I just need to breathe more and stay in the present.
xoxo -Lisa



This is really well written. Its so nice to see that your doing better now and making strides towards recovery.
ReplyDeleteThis was amazing and like the person said above me, well written. Reading this made me feel like I was back at TK again. I cannot wait to see the final product. You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteBravissima! I am an alumni of TK - went there two years ago when I was 13. Anorexia. I am SO glad you are getting better! Recovery is absolutely worth it; every step forward makes it harder to go back.
ReplyDeleteThis was well written for sure. I've been diagnosed with bulimia, anorexia(binge/purge type), anxiety & depression. I've had this since I've been 12 years old. I'm now 43. It's now at it's worst and I'm unable to get treatment for it. my insurance won't pay for it. It's good to hear people really do recover. I'm not doing well & to be honest I am at a life or death point. But reading this put a smile on my face just knowing someone else will make it.
ReplyDeleteJen
Beautiful. I love you. <3
ReplyDeleteNice post! You have worked hard on jotting down the essential information. Keep sharing the good work in future too.
ReplyDeleteFamily mediation service & Cost family mediation
thank you for sharing, great post!
ReplyDeleteeating disorder treatment