When I was in treatment 2 years ago around this exact time ( February 2011 ) - we had two assignments.
- To write a letter to your body
- To have your body write a letter back to you.
My first thought was ..."wtf- how do I have my body write back to me? I don't have multiple personalities, wtf" but then I started writing- and it just flowed .
---------------------------------------------------
I made a video last night that goes with this letter
-----------------------------------------------
Dear Lisa,
I forgive you, even though I shouldn't.
You've put me through hell and back. I won't leave you- despite your
most futile attempts to get rid of me. I will not disappear. You have
abused me in so many ways in the 24 years of your life. You have
starved, hurt and mistreated me. Despite this, I will fight to stay in
your life. Why? Because you ARE worth it.
My legs, they were meant for carrying
you around this god-awful world. They aren't too big. They're
supposed to touch at the thighs. Stop wishing they didn't. Your legs
aren't too long or too short. Your height is just fine. Also, stop
being so mean to your legs- put the razor away. Your legs move you
forward in life- literally. Appreciate them.
My arms- well without them, you
wouldn't be able to write this letter or anything for that matter.
They're not fat, they are just fine the way they are. It's okay, you
don't need Michelle Obama arms. Again, stop being so mean to your
arms. Stop taking a razor to them. They deserve better. Appreciate
them.
My hands, you've always been okay with
them. Thank you for that. Just please get a manicure at some point in
the near future. Thank you for appreciating them.
My feet, well they're small enough that
you can wear children's shoes. That makes shopping easier and your
wallet happier. Appreciate them.
My stomach- moment of truth. Stop
hating on it. It holds what keeps you alive. It holds the energy to
keep going with life, it's called food. Stop hating on food as well.
Your stomach isn't meant to be flat as if it were photoshopped. Love
it for what it is. Just try and learn to appreciate it. I know it's
hard, but just try.
My eyes- well without those thick
glasses, they wouldn't work. So thank you for getting glasses, at the
ripe old age of 5. Your eyes, well they're Asian. Just like you- your
lashes will never be luxuriously long. Thank you for not putting the
fake glue stuff on it. Also, try not to wear your eye make up to bed
so often. If you continue to do so- you might lose the little vision
you have. So, appreciate your eyes, even for the little vision they
give you.
My nose, other than those annoying
blackheads that don't seem to ever go away, you've never complained
about it. Thanks for appreciating it.
My mouth, well without it you couldn't
be the loud person you are. How would you cause the ruckus you do
without your mouth? It makes you who you are. Without it, you
wouldn’t be able to tell that bitch in the corner to please
just STFU. Without it, you wouldn't be able to tell that non-existent elusive
boyfriend of yours that you love and care for him. Appreciate that you can do that.
My boobs, well. Stop wishing they
were smaller. That's not possible. They're barely there are it is. You're a grown woman, they aren't going anywhere. Just learn to
accept them for what they are and like them. Men do, or so they say.
My hair- stop flat ironing it. You're Asian, your hair is straight enough. Stop dying it black, you're Asian- it's already black. Appreciate it for what it naturally is.
My brain, well. Sometimes you like it,
sometimes you don't. Just accept it.
And last but not least my scars- don't
let them embarrass you. However, stop making friends for them to play
with. They have enough of them. Leave them alone. Appreciate the
story they tell but stop adding onto the past stories and leave them
be.
All in all, so even though you hate me
sometimes- I forgive you. Just please try to appreciate me.
Love,
Body.
You are so funny. I didn't realize it until I read this letter.
ReplyDeleteI too hope that you're able to love your body.
With care....
Lisa, this is beautiful! It sounds like a really good exercise.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to be back and reading your blog again. I'm looking forward to getting caught up.
Be well,
NOS
This ρost offers clear idea deѕignеd for
ReplyDeletethе new visitors of blogging, thаt aсtually
how to ԁo blogging аnd site-building.
My web blog www.paleodietprimal.info
Piece of writing wгіting is alsо а fun, if you
ReplyDeleteknow after that you can wгite if not it iѕ complісated to write.
my website no hands seo
Hmm it ѕeems like youг blog ate my first comment (it wаs extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thorоughlу enjoying yοur blog.
ReplyDeleteΙ too am an aspirіng blog blogger but Ӏ'm still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for inexperienced blog writers? I'd
genuinelу apргеciatе
it.
Here is mу blog post :: still love
Hаve you еver thought about writing аn ebooκ or guest аuthoring on other
ReplyDeletewеbsiteѕ? I have a blog baseԁ on the ѕamе topіcs you ԁiscusѕ аnd ωould love to have yоu
shaге some stоries/infoгmatіon.
I κnow mу vіewеrs would enjoy уour
work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.
Check out my web page :: wso Launch
Suρerb, what a web site it is! This blog presеnts valuable
ReplyDeletedata tо us, κeep it up.
my page :: Get cash for surveys legit
What's Going down i'm neω to thiѕ, I stumbled upon thiѕ Ӏ've found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other customers like its aided me. Good job.
ReplyDeleteMy webpage - download jvzoo
Hello theге, You've done a great job. I'll defіnitely digg it and peгѕonally recommenԁ to my friends.
ReplyDeleteI am cοnfident they will be benefited fгom this wеb site.
Αlѕo vіsit my wеb pаge - relationship trust
my website - stress management
Pгetty sесtiοn οf content.
ReplyDeleteІ јuѕt stumbled upon уour web site аnd in аcсessiοn capital to
aѕsегt that I get in fact еnjοyеԁ acсοunt
yоuг blog pοѕts. Anу wаy I wіll bе subscribіng to your feeds and еven
I achievemеnt you access consiѕtеntly quiсkly.
my webpаge: wso launch
My website - warrior forum wso
Right noω it appeaгs likе Drupal is the preferred
ReplyDeleteblogging ρlatform out thеre right nоw.
(from what Ι've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
my web blog - Article Kevo
Thеse arе in faсt great ideas іn сoncernіng blogging.
ReplyDeleteҮοu have toucheԁ sοmе pleаsant factorѕ
herе. Αny ωay keеp up wгinting.
Tаκе a lοoκ at
my webpage; lancaster seo company
My page > seo company lancaster
Hey therе! I know this is someωhat off topic but I ωaѕ wonԁering
ReplyDeleteif you kneω wheгe I cοuld find a captcha
plugin for mу cоmment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having pгoblеms
finding one? Thankѕ a lot!
Μу web blog: article directory submitter
Ηі there еvery оne, hеre every one is shаring thesе kinds оf
ReplyDeleteexрeriеnce, so it's fastidious to read this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this blog every day.
Feel free to visit my web blog :: get ripped abs fast women
I really like this blog, It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also get knowledge, from these type of blog, nice entry. Thanks
ReplyDeleteFamily mediation service & Cost family mediation