I was in graduate school to get my M.S in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I went to classes for one week and then...crashed hardcore and ended up in the ICU for 4 days and then at the hospital for a total of about 2 weeks. Then, I landed at TK...for 15 weeks. My time there really helped me
- get my creativity back- the art studio is AMAZING
- learn how to build healthy relationships
- learn who to trust and who not to
- set boundaries with both my peers and parents
- experience what a good therapist with boundaries is like
- learn HOW to utilize therapy
- realize that honesty is the only way to recover
- realize that IT IS OKAY to be healthy
AND MOST OF ALL
learn who I am.
I am strong, brutally honest almost to a fault however I am not going to apologize for that because it is who I am and I appreciate that about myself. I have a good eye for reading other people. I have many faults as well, I distance myself emotionally from people when I am struggling. I do not cry at the appropriate times. I have MASSIVE boundary setting issues Yet, I am still a strong person and I ( most of the time ) appreciate life much more than I everhav before.
I met some amazing girls at TK and it hurts me to see just how much each and every one of them struggle. It breaks my heart to see a new resident walk through the doors of TK either defensive or scared shitless. It's always a heart breaking story of what landed her at the front doors of TK. I hope for each and every girl/man struggling with ANYTHING- not just ED, mood, addiction, suicide, depression, bipolar, etc... that he/she finds what I have found.
Don't get me wrong- some mornings I still wake up wishing I had never woken up but throughout the day--it gets better. IT IS POSSIBLE to recover from depression. IT IS POSSIBLE to HAVE FUN and be HAPPY. ( I had no idea what true fun or happiness was )
Yes, the hopelessness, suicidal, self harm thoughts have been with me for years so they will probably, if not always be in my back pocket. "It is okay to have it in your back pocket" <-- my amazing family therapist. However, now- I can fight those thoughts and make it through the day.
I'm taking it ONE DAY at a time. I have a goal in life for once and I am motivated as hell to get there.
xoxo -Lisa
ONE DAY AT A TIME is key. I love you!
ReplyDeleteYou are a very special person. What you have said here has helped me also. Thank you.
ReplyDelete