February 24th-March 1st is NEDAwareness (National Eating Disorder Association ) Week. These year's theme is "Everybody Knows Somebody" I'm going to share part of my story below. There are a few very personal things about my life that I have never mentioned online (whether it be through here or youtube).
1 out of every 2 people know someone struggling with a eating disorder or are struggling themselves. So in honor of this year's theme ( Everybody Knows Somebody )- to everyone out there- if you know
someone who is struggling- give them a hug, let them know you believe
in them and support them through their fight. If you are currently in
the fight, given up for now or feel like giving up- know that you're
worth it, people believe in you ( even if you don't think so ) and
that there is HOPE and that recovery is possible.
xoxo -Lisa
8 treatment centers. 1 ICU stay. 1
hospital stay. This has been my last 3 years. My name is Lisa Guo. I
am 24 and a 2010 graduate from Emory University. I worked hard
throughout all 16 years of my schooling. However, I haven't been able
to put this hard earned degree to good use. Instead, I spent the last
3 years after my graduation in and out of treatment for an eating
disorder. I can't remember a time in my life where food wasn't at
least on the back of my mind. My first behavior started at age 14 and
it's been a spiral ever since then. Up until 2010- my behaviors were
consistently inconsistent- from 2010 to 2012- my behaviors were out
of control.
I was admitted to my first treatment
center fresh out of graduation from college in June of 2010.
Everything since then has been treatment, a job I never kept because
I had to go back into treatment and the cycle just repeated. I soon
realized that it was either recovery or death.
Death didn't scare me at this point. I
had been struggling with suicidal thoughts for quite some time and
honestly at times, death seemed like to be the best option
In May of 2012 I got accepted into a
masters program for clinical mental health counseling. Irony huh? It
was also in May that I got an abortion and a DUI. A few days after my
arrest I decided that if I were dead, things would be easier for
everyone around me. I didn't see it as a selfish act- instead as me
being selfLESS. I had been hoarding my medication for a long time as
a safety blanket. I impulsively took as many as I could and laid down
on my bathroom floor ready for the struggle to be over. I woke up a
few days later in the ICU.
I spent the next week or so re-learning
how to walk and basically every necessary motor skill to stay alive.
The one thing I didn't learn was how to nourish my body. I was then
shipped off to treatment AGAIN. I had promised myself to never have
to go back to treatment however, this time- I had no choice. I was
admitted to Timberline Knolls in Chicago and spent the first month
angry and frustrated that I was alive. However after spending 4
months there and then 3 months stepping down levels of treatment.
This time discharging was different than the other 7 times- I left
behavior free and with motivation to recover. This was a new concept
to me.
I am ready to live my life and I no
longer want to die. A big part of my recovery has been advocacy and
being active in the recovery community. I learned that the recovery
community welcomes everyone with open arms. I had been making youtubevideos and blogging about my recovery for a few years, so I was aware
of how supportive the online community was. However, just like any
other community- there were triggers and it was something I had to
watch out for. But, I had never really looked into the REAL life
recovery community. Since then, I have become involved with Project Heal and am taking part in a documentary called "Someday I'll Be Okay" that will hopefully be out and ready
to view by NEDAwareness Week next year in 2014.
Being active in the community has
helped me realize that there is hope, there are success stories out
there and that it IS possible. For the longest time, I didn't think
recovery was for me- I just thought I wasn't strong enough and that
others could do it but me- no, I was terminally unique and just wasn't
strong enough. However, I was wrong - I AM strong enough. Since realizing this-
I have been invited to be a speaker in an event on Emory's campus to
share my story and help spread hope about recovery and am taking part
in an alumni panel for Timberline Knolls. These amazing opportunities
are things I had only dreamed of doing and now that I have the
chance- I am taking them and not looking back. Now that I have seen a
little bit of recovery, I want more of it. All of the trauma, pain,
struggle and fighting has been worth it. I don't regret and wouldn't
take back anything that I've been through no matter how painful it
was/is because I wouldn't be who I am today. I wouldn't have an
amazing story to share and I wouldn't have the self awareness that I
do.
It has been a long and intense journey
these last few years. I have had a lot of help and support. I have
gained many friends and at the same time- lost many friends but in
the end- as I said before- it has all been worth it. Recovery is
worth it and it IS possible. Hope is out there- I just had to believe
it and want it. I know I will be fighting for a long time-
potentially the rest of my life. I am no longer dreading this fight
but ready to take it on full force with the knowledge that I can win
in the end.
xoxo -Lisa


First off, I want to give you major props for having the courage to share your story. Number two, you are an amazing writer. You are highly insightful and I admire that about you. You are a fighter, Lisa. I feel so honored to call you a friend. You're never alone. xoxo
ReplyDeleteYou are a beautiful soul Lisa and I applaud you for being so candid in this post. Love you girl and I am giving you the biggest spinning in circles with butterflies in the tummy hug!
ReplyDeleteThis is an extremely powerful post, Lisa. I am so proud of you. Seriously, you're a superhero. You are a beautiful person inside and out-- just look at you in that February 2013 photo! Get it, girl.
ReplyDeleteI had a very good period in recovery in 2012, but I started to struggle in December and have been having a tough time ever since. I get discouraged often. But "hearing" you write makes me think that there could be an end to this for me that doesn't involve death. Thank you.
Be well,
NOS