"Bear in mind you have a life to live. There is an incredible loss. There is a profound grief. And there is, in the end, after a long time and more work than you ever thought possible, a time when it gets easier." -Marya Hornbacher

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Doubt, Loss, Connection and Disconnection

I know I am here. Physically. However, I don't always feel human. Sometimes, I am a body that is just walking and talking. I am an animated consciousness. I recognize the world around me.  I recognize myself - from afar It's as if my consciousness is taking a step back outside of my body. Not only am I disconnected from my emotions, but I'm disconnected from my physical self. It's like walking through a lucid dream where nothing feels real but you are still aware that you control the direction and movement of events. My body functions to live. Just to live. Nothing else. I fade in and out. I leave my body and then I come back. In other words- I'm numb, then overwhelmed, then numb again. It's a cycle. It's tiring. very tiring. It's a cycle of intensity- black and white. nothing grey.

When I'm in this state- my emotions are dead. I become numb. I had a moment this morning of feeling- I told a good friend that I missed him and that for some reason really hit me hard- unfortunately it didn't snap me back into my body for long. Just for a few short seconds. My chest tightened up and I think one lone tear rolled down my cheek. Then I was gone again. And here I am. Going in and out of what I call- "emotional consciousness". When I feel detached from my own body, it only makes sense  that others wouldn’t be attached to me when I am not even attached to myself. I have an intense fear of being forgotten. My theory- out of sight, out of mind. If I’m not around, or I am not in some form of contact/communication with them, I don’t exist in their world. Do you know how many times I've wanted to tell someone that I feel as if I weren't in their face- they wouldn't even remember my existence? I always have to hold myself back from those exact intense words. I have an extraordinarily hard time holding onto the thought that people remember me, hold me dear or care for me when I am not in their physical presence. This creates a feeling of panic and loss for something that may actually be there and I need to find a way to reaffirm these feelings in myself and others every time I am back in contact with them. It’s a maddening cycle of doubt, loss, connection and disconnection. I think, when things get too intense- when this cycle is running in overdrive without any pause- I leave my body and brain.

In therapy, I was told that this happens to protect me. This happens when overwhelming emotions become too much to handle Something will be so excruciatingly taxing--- I'll be so emotionally worn out, that I'll suddenly notice that I no longer feel much at all. When overwhelming emotions become too much to handle, I can no longer compartmentalize everything. Things start to blur together. I don't know what goes where. It's like I'm a toddler and trying to shove a triangle in the hole that is shaped like a circle. Things are out of wack- out of control in my head. 

I need something to make me feel- even if it's just physical. That's one of the reasons I cut.  It helps me remember that I am human. It fails me when it's not enough.to bring me back. I hate being here but yet it's safe. I can't be hurt here. 

"But you're still in there, Lisa. You're tucked away in a corner looking back on yourself, but you can still reach your on body again" K

I'm too scared to reach my own body. I hate being in this place but to me leaving means instability. Nothing seems safe. It's overwhelming to me right now. Maybe I'm just not ready yet. Maybe I should just stay where I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Feeling are ephemeral, so is life. We’re here one moment and we’re gone the next. If you keep living trying to protect yourself, nothing is every going to touch you."