"Bear in mind you have a life to live. There is an incredible loss. There is a profound grief. And there is, in the end, after a long time and more work than you ever thought possible, a time when it gets easier." -Marya Hornbacher

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

...i was able to be calmed down

without drugs or talking to one of my therapists. I have an AMAZING friend who can really help ( and I KNOW a great support system beyond just her ) . But what is important is that I was triggered into an anxiety/panic attack by insurance details and money issues which I have always been sensitive to.

My parents are supporting me in all of this treatment which by no means is cheap. I was worried that the cost of treatment is compromising my little sister's future and the rest of my family. I was in a legitimate panic. I didn't feel like I was worth all the money that's being put into my recovery

BUT I was able to calm down. I am no longer panicking or feeling extreme anxiety. Believe it or not, I'm feeling CALM. peaceful. I feel a 180 from where I was one hour ago. How did I do this? I'm sitting here processing it so I can have something to pull on if this ever happens again.

I reached out to a close friend that I spoke to and was legitimately worried and to calm her down I agreed to call the emergency ACE line to my therapist, so I know tomorrow I will have to talk about what happened. I know tomorrow is the team meeting at ACE ( and I am hoping that I was able to be calmed and avoid some more intense anxiety will work in my advantage instead of disadvantage...) I calmed down before she called me back and when she did call me. I was able to say I had done it w/out her. :)

I processed what happened, how I calmed down. 


1) I realized what was making me panic- the financial burden on my family due to the cost of treatment and in case I have to leave for residential- the cost of THAT. I was worried how much I was compromising the living conditions of my family.


2) So, in order to calm that part of me down- I called the a source i trusted- my dad. I was honest and asked him honest questions so I could rationally put the legitimate worry out of my head. He convinced me that going to Emory another year would be more expensive that what I'm doing now. That helped a lot. But it didn't calm me down completely.


3)I reached out even more and called my friend back that I originally called. I REACHED OUT ( rare for me ) and I processed why I felt why I felt like I wasn't worth the money. We talked about it. I calmed down and realized how my logic was not the rational logic I thought it was. 

WITH THE HELP OF A WONDERFUL FRIEND ,MY DAD OH AND MYSELF...no drugs, no individual therapist...

I CALMED DOWN. I am going to go into ACE tomorrow and give it my all for the next 3 weeks and kick this. I'm going to do this. The fact that I just did what I did tonight gives me hope that I CAN DO THIS. I can kick this.

i haven't felt this proud of myself in a long time nor this calm in a while. I finally feel like I'm going down the right path- and I feel hope. Now I'm just hoping and praying ACE will think the same. 3 weeks...

2 comments:

  1. i am so proud. please let me know what ACE says tomorrow. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, so proud of you.

    You've totally got the tools to kick this shit and I'm incredibly excited for you.

    Hope everything goes well at ACE tomorrow too.

    Good luck <3

    ReplyDelete

"Feeling are ephemeral, so is life. We’re here one moment and we’re gone the next. If you keep living trying to protect yourself, nothing is every going to touch you."