I saw a GP today: I wanted to punch her in the face: I know her intentions were good but everything she said was stereotypically WRONG. NOT to mention the fucking nurse weighed me..THEN TOOK MY BLOOD PRESSURE, HEART RATE and TEMP. big surprise- they were all high. well no dipshit, you just weighed someone with an eating disorder and did not do it backwards.
Dr. X just kept saying that bc my weight was alright- I must be much better- i'm okay. I even told her that I was having a really difficult time right now w/Nancy being gone and she was like yeah I can relate- when i get anxiety- i have a slight loss of appetite but since your weight is still fine, i'm sure things will be okay once Nancy is back...
then she proceeded to ask why i looked agitated- well it was because i wanted to punch the cunt's head off. Then she proceeded to try and hug me at the end of our "session". UHM NO. Once again, I know she had good intentions but she obvi had NO training in the mental health field AT ALL..and something they should tell med students- if you're not specializing in mental health- don't try and pretend like you get it when one walks into your clinic. So,of course- that pissed me off. A LOT.
And I swear I'm so so so ambivalent about recovery right now. one minute I am obsessing over weight and food and the next I'm saying no i can't live like this. I'm totally in limbo- being dragged in a million directions by what I feel like are a million voices. I can't give in and just let things spiral down but... I don't know...
the end.
xoxo -Lisa
It's impossible to TRULY understand mental disorders unless you've experienced them or done extensive research/interviews with those who are suffering. Sounds like your doctor has done neither.
ReplyDeleteOn an unrelated note, I never see the purpose of GPs. Seems like all they do is take vitals, ask questions, poke your abdomen and then say you're fine. Years of med school for that? Seriously?
<3
Yeah, she obviously was in over her head. And that's so unprofessional, not to mention dangerous, to put somebody in without the education or experience to deal with these disorders with a patient that struggles with one. I mean, she could have set you back a lot in recovery and really messed up your progress.
ReplyDeleteAnd I also went through many "professionals" before I even admitted to having an eating disorder, and I basically bullsh*tted them all and they never diagnosed me with anorexia. They had no clue and I could have died before someone finally caught on. Shows how much this disorder needs to be dealt with differently and in a specific way.
Hate that shit. Hope that you can find a more sensitive doctor soon! I've seen my fair share of clueless doctors, so I know how you feel. Wish I knew someone to recommend.
ReplyDeleteThat sucks sorry you had to deal with someone so incompetent.
ReplyDeleteOmg I'm sooo sorry/: I seriously hate when that happens. They always say something like- well now that you're a healthy weight, you're totally cured! Haha.. we so wish that was true.
ReplyDeleteHang in there, it'll be okay. Nancy will hopefully come back soon & it'll all be okay(: After all, Christmas is like 2 days away!!(:
I saw a doctor once who told me I should treat my depression by getting those full-spectrum light bulbs. He didn't refer me to anyone who might actually know something about mood disorders or anything. I dumped that chump a little later for that and some other reasons.
ReplyDeleteYour doctor sounds very insenstive. I've had some over the years that have made dumbass comments so I understand the feeling. I switch GP's about 3 months, lol.
ReplyDeleteAre you still doing DBT? I am trying to get into one here, but it's very expensive.