"Bear in mind you have a life to live. There is an incredible loss. There is a profound grief. And there is, in the end, after a long time and more work than you ever thought possible, a time when it gets easier." -Marya Hornbacher

Friday, October 1, 2010

Eating Disorders....

(before)
November of 2009
(during)
may 2010, 2+lbs more than  now
don't make any logical sense. I always prided myself on being rational. Something within me clicked. I think it's a good thing but it's causing the most intense internal battle yet...in this personal war.

I was facebook stalking...myself. And I realized...in some of my older pictures (prior to May 2010 ) where I weighed probably at least 15lbs more than I do, at the LEAST...I think I looked perfectly fine, in fact I can barely tell the difference. And ACE is not asking me to gain 15lbs. they are asking me to eventually gain 4 lbs... So why do I not want to gain the 4 LBS when I can look back at pictures of myself where I am positive I weighed at least 15lbs more than I do now and think I look okay. But I remember both of these days. I remember being MISERABLE. I know when I was ~10-20+ lbs heavier I WAS NOT OKAY. I way beyond not okay. I WOULD REFUSE TO GET OUT OF BED because I felt so fat. I thought I was horrendously fat and I had nothing that I could wear that would make me look even presentable---forget attractive---just presentable. I also specifically when each picture was taken and I was VERY UNHAPPY with my body then. In all 3 pictures I was on some ridiculous diet, some sort of restriction ( obviously not working ) or just being miserable. Why is it NOW I look back at those pictures and think I looked alright.


10/1/10- presently
(before)
November of 2009

I am satisfied with my body now. I do not have the  body image issues at this exact moment because I am at the lowest weight I have ever been in my adult life I am OKAY with my physical shape. I am not self conscious around others about whether or not I look fat. I have no plans on loosing any more weight, I just want to maintain my weight now but I have absolutely no idea how to do that in a healthy way. Why can't the mindstate that I'm in now about my body be the same when I weighed more? Why can't I scoop out my brain now and transfer it the body that weighed a bit more. Then my life would not be such a god damn mess.

I'm on a new medication that has dramatically decreased my anxiety but also has the possible side effect of increasing my appetite and for the first time in quite a while I kind of want to eat but I am actively restricting because I am scared to gain weight. I look at pictures where I weighed more and I think I'm fine but yet I'm scared to look like that again?! That proves...it's all in my head. I want to just have food be food. Part of my eating disorder has shut up for the time being..but only so much.

(before)
summer of 2009

I want to TAKE THE CHALLENGE and eat regularly (  follow my meal plan perfectly ) and part of me thinks I can do it because I can look back at old pictures and I feel okay, so that's the part of me saying you can win this challenge...but i'm terrified that this challenge is just going to end up going down the toilet and with me incredibly frustrated.....paralyzed by my brain once again. Go ED.

At this moment, I am okay with how I look NOW and THEN. I know logically that I've been at a normal weight range while now I am considered underweight but I don't feel like I physically even look much better. So why am I doing this to myself? ...atleast I think I'm making some headway. PLEASE TELL ME I AM NOT INSANE and MY THOUGHTS MAKE SENSE. I can barely tell that my body's changed.  I think I almost look the same, but yet I know I don't and i feel so much more better about my body now. WHY CAN'T I JUST SCOOP THIS NON-BODY IMAGE ISSUES BRAIN INTO MY FORMER HEALTHY BODY BUT WITH NO ED THOUGHTS?!

xoxo -Lisa

8 comments:

  1. lisa, I guarantee you that you will look absolutely NO different 4 lbs more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've told you how fantastic you look in those pictures, and it definitely is all in our heads! You are gorgeous and 4 lbs will not change anything! I am so proud that you have had a change in thinking, and I really think that you can succeed in your challenge. You are so strong and I know that you can do whatever you put your mind to. You are NOT ALONE in this. I believe in you 100%, and you make me want to challenge myself and get better too!

    <3 <3 <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. your thoughts make sense. your thoughts make total sense. xoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are not crazy at all. this makes sense. in fact, i think you are just getting better. ask me for some pictures. love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you look no different even 15 lbs more...and i definitely don't even think that's 15 lbs haha. but weight aside, eat what you want to eat to a reasonable degree and think about your health, not your weight :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your thoughts make sense! You're so smart knowing that 4 lbs is not going to change how you look. I think you look so cute in these pictures -- you have the best and cutest clothes! :D

    The only thing keeping you from having your non-ED body with the non-ED thoughts is your mind. I am hopeful because you say your anxiety has been decreased -- that's soooo good. You've got more work to do but you're getting there.

    You look so skinny in the most recent picture. You look fantastic in all of them actually, I like Nov 2009 the most but I am looking at your cute outfits, lol.

    I love you so much!!! I wish I knew how I could help you. Let me know what I can do (if anything) please.

    >'.'< meow <3s

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look vibrant and beautiful in all those pictures, Lisa.

    I don't think you're crazy. I think a lot of people look back and think, oh, I look fine at 4-10+ lbs "heavier" - BUT the thought of just having those extra pounds on is unappealing. I have that thought at times, too.

    For me, I really dislike myself when I feel unhealthy/active. Maybe it's that? Not the pounds, like Jason mentioned in his comment. If I were a few pounds heavier, but was happy about the foods I was eating, their nutritional value, and the lifestyle I was living, then I'd be absolutely happy with myself.

    Or, it may not even be the nutritional/health side of it all. It might just be your own self-perception & inner (dis)satisfactions that persist no matter what weight you're at. And that makes you want to shed the pounds.

    What do I know. All I know is that - weight cannot be constant. It's a fact of nature. I probably put on a few lbs in the past few weeks studying nonstop, and I just might lose some weight when I'm busy being active (in the future). I can't and don't want to count the pounds. I actually haven't been on a scale in YEARS. As long as I look at myself in the mirror and like what I see, I'm good. And as long as I know that I'm being generally health conscious, I'm good.

    I'm not gonna lie. I get really hard on myself sometimes. Like, why did I eat that? Why didn't I work out? But then I go ahead and eat that tart or have the meal b/c it's just too good to pass up and I want to enjoy life, not control every pound of it.

    It's a cycle, sometimes vicious. But in the end, it's about living life. And I would hate to live life w/o the pleasures. Foods definitely one of them for me.

    I might have been talking in the circle. But I think that you're on the right path to recognizing those pleasures/needs and wanting the WANT to fulfill them - to eat that meal and be ok with it; to enjoy that comfort food.

    You can do it, Lisa. You've got every capability to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog....

    You are a beautiful girl - whatever your weight!

    I Know how you feel and there is a long journey ahead of us both but its worth it. I've been fighting my own ED for almost a year now and I can tell you, I MADE the right decision to fight against it :)

    Dana xoxo

    ReplyDelete

"Feeling are ephemeral, so is life. We’re here one moment and we’re gone the next. If you keep living trying to protect yourself, nothing is every going to touch you."